Friday, January 11, 2013

Blow your mind Zombie trilogy!

Image taken from the website of Mira Grant

Ok, I'll concede the title of this post was likely not the most tactful....given it's contents. But I suppose blowing your mind, where zombies are concerned, would be preferential to losing your mind to them, yeah? Either way, you should definitely check out Mira Grant's Newsflesh Trilogy, like NOW. Even if you aren't a 'horror' fiction fan, DO. IT.

Relayed in a mixture of blog posts and first person narratives, these books aren't so much horror as they are post-apocalyptic or dystopic in design, with a mystery/conspiracy twist; the shambling zombies are simply a feature of the current world environment, rather than the main focus of the story. In the post-Rising world of Grant's books, most of what we consider to be the facets of daily life have shifted into virtual space, as a means of avoiding unwanted additional exposure to the live virus which turns humans into 'zombies'. News and most media forms are distributed via the internet, or locally supported networks, shopping is all accomplished online and delivered to your home (including groceries), and most social events are hosted in forums or video chats/conferences.

Grant's world is so detailed that I found myself constantly assessing my meatspace environment through the eyes of a post-Rising human during my recent holiday roadtrip across Australia. No joke - I was obviously assimilating whenever I was seriously concerned about pitching a tent next to a caravan with horses not because of my strong allergies to horsehair, but because of Mason's Law (all mammals over 60lbs are susceptible to amplification). My fellow travelers were wondering whether to suspend my reading privileges while driving across the flat plains of South Australia and Western Australia.


If you like mystery, suspense, science fiction (with some decent hard medical science included), comedy, dystopia, adventure, romance, alternative-lifestyle, politics, communications, or even international relations, you'll enjoy this book. There is also a balance between strong female and male protagonists (the first book is told predominately through the eyes of Georgia Mason). This series really has something for EVERYONE in it, and you wont have to stomach a ton of blood to get your kicks.

Yes, links to the books are attached to my Amazon Associates account. No, you are not obligated to link through. Should you like further details/copy of my disclosure, please go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment